How to Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in helping St. Catharine’s Roman Catholic Church fulfill its mission as revealed to us by Jesus in Matthew 25:34-40:
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’”
Volunteering at church means to make an offering of yourself, your time, talents and skills to serve the needs of others.
Here’s how to begin:
1. Get involved––Read the bulletin, check our website, and speak with the individuals who are already doing things that interest you. Then show up.
2. Explore your interests––Your interests are key. When you get involved with the things that already interest you, you will bring more enthusiasm to your work.
3. Learn––The church has countless educational opportunities and most of them are free or very low cost. When you learn about the things that naturally interest you you will bring more value to your volunteer work.
4. Meet the leaders––There are clergy and lay leaders of all ministries. Some of these ministries are liturgical, others are educational or caring outreach. Once you’ve met the leaders they will help you discern if their ministry is a good fit for you.
5. Pray––Prayer is the number one key to discernment. Opening yourself to God’s will for your life through prayer will help you choose the path that suits you best and enables you to be the eyes, ears, hands, feet, and tongue of our Lord, Jesus Christ in the service of His Church.
6. Ask: “How can I help?”
When you reach out in humble service to help others without expecting anything in return, Jesus’ promise that “great is your reward in heaven” will be realized in your life.
Contact any of our leaders through our Parish Office at 732-842-3963.