Congratulations New Parents!
“Today this joy has brought you to the Church to give thanks to God for the gift of your child and to celebrate a new birth in the waters of Baptism. This community rejoices with you.” (Rite of Baptism)
Your Child’s Baptism
Baptisms at Saint Catharine are held on Sundays at 1:30 pm. You and your guests will be welcomed into the Fr. Scheg Center at 1:15 pm.
How to Schedule a Baptism
- Call our main office (732-842-3963) and the office will assist you in preparing for your child’s Baptism. We will also share with you information on our Baptism Class for parents. The class is held on the first Tuesday of each month, and this class is mandatory for parents and encouraged for godparents. Unfortunately, if for any reason, you do not attend the class, the baptism will be postponed until you attend the class.
- Godparents need to obtain a certificate of eligibility from their parish that they are currently registered with. You must bring in the certificates of eligibility for the godparents before the baptism date can be scheduled.
- If necessary, the office will assist you in becoming a registered parishioner.
- You may have one or two Godparents (Baptized Catholics).
- If there are two, one must be male and the other female.
- If you are having two Godparents, both need letters of eligibility from their parish pastor.
- Godparents must be 16 years old or older.
- Godparents must be practicing Catholics who have received the Sacraments of initiation (Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation).
- Godparents must be practicing Catholics who participate regularly in the Eucharist.
- If married their marriage must be a Valid Catholic Marriage.
- Parents cannot be Godparents to their own children.
- A Protestant (non-Catholic Christian), who has been baptized, may be designated a Christian Witness.
- A non-baptized person cannot be a Godparent or a Christian Witness.
- A Catholic cannot be a Christian Witness.